The family of a teenager with a dairy allergy who died after he unwittingly ate buttermilk in a burger restaurant have called for a change in the law.
Owen Carey, ordered a skinny grilled chicken at Byron burger at the O2 Arena in London.
He told staff about his allergy but was not told the meal included buttermilk.
After a coroner ruled he was not told about allergens that led to his death, Mr Carey’s family said the current policy left too much room for error.
Speaking outside Southwark Coroner’s Court, Mr Carey’s family said: « His death should not have happened. »
They said they wanted something good to come out of their loss and they were calling on the government to change the law.
« It’s not good enough to have a policy which relies on verbal communication between the customer and their server, which often takes place in a busy, noisy restaurant where the turnover of staff is high and many of their customers are very young, » the family said.
« This leaves far too much room for error on an issue we know far too well can cost lives. We hope we can bring about change with Owen’s Law for better allergen labelling in restaurants. »
‘Severe anaphylactic reaction’
Earlier, assistant coroner Briony Ballard ruled: « The deceased made serving staff aware of his allergies.
« The menu was reassuring in that it made no reference to any marinade or potential allergenic ingredient in the food selected.
« The deceased was not informed that there were allergens in the order.
« The food served to and consumed by the deceased contained dairy which caused the deceased to suffer a severe anaphylactic reaction from which he died. »
The inquest has heard Mr Carey died on 22 April 2017 as he celebrated his 18th birthday with family and friends.
He ate half of his chicken before he felt his lips tingling and experienced stomach problems, the hearing was told.
The teenager collapsed 55 minutes later outside the London Eye.
Members of the public, including an RAF doctor, tried to revive him but when paramedics arrived he was « silent, not breathing and pulseless », the hearing was told.
Mr Carey, from Crowborough, Sussex, died later at St Thomas’s Hospital in central London.
After the hearing, Simon Wilkinson, the CEO of Byron Burger said: « We take allergies extremely seriously and have robust procedures in place.
« We train our staff to respond in the right way. »
He said the company had heard what the coroner had said about talking to customers and added: « It’s clear current rules and requirements are not enough and the industry needs to do more – more to help customers with allergies and more to raise awareness of the risks of allergies. »
Ms Ballard is expected to make recommendations to prevent future deaths at a later date.